Being the Change in Small Towns

Allison A., Editor-in-Chief

Small towns, big secrets… right? Though it is easy to ignore and often is ignored, drug problems are all around; not just in big cities and alleyways. Though not everyone is involved in drugs, nearly everyone has heard about it– students joking about it in the hallways, whispering about it at lunch, etc.. There is nothing funny about drug addiction.

While drugs can be enlightening,  even freeing, it is a danger for a reason. Eventually, harm will be caused either physically or mentally– maybe even both. Do not take these risks. Do your part to stop others from taking those risks.

Abusing drugs will cause a chemical in the brain, dopamine, to unnaturally surge through the mind. This, for a while, does cause pleasure and is defined as the addiction portion of taking drugs; however, the extra dopamine does not last in the brain and will crash eventually. This leads to people taking even more drugs, thinking the outcome could change or get better. As a result, it does not work and only causes harm.

Watching close friends struggle with issues such as drug addiction, getting worn down by their own brains- hurts. As this was more of a personal issue that hit closer to home, it is often normal to feel helpless. Watching someone spiral- losing friendships, destroying relationships, and even ruining their own extracurricular activities- is becoming common for teenagers that do associate themselves with drugs. The negative aspect will always outweigh the positives in this case. A passion someone has for something can and will be destroyed by abusing substances.

Encourage people to quit; tell them that they can get through it. Stop assuming people are just “druggies”, and that they do not know what they are talking about. Listen to them. Show kindness, always. Even give people a number to call if they want the help. Help is all around, so long as you are receptive to it.

Drug addiction hotline: 855-516-1669.