Domestic Violence

Shirleeah P., News and Entertainment Editor

Domestic violence is an act of violent abuse toward a spouse or family member.  In a small town like our own, we have lost many due to domestic violence.

Throughout the month of October, domestic violence awareness month, the Rape Crisis and Domestic Violence Safe Haven will have up the Silent Witness Project all over Ashland.

The project,  honoring the victims who have been murdered in Ashland County due to domestic violence, is made up of eight life-sized red silhouettes. Each silhouette has a picture of one of the eight women who died due to domestic violence, along with their story. Dating from 1972 through 2014, these women and their stories shed light on the ugly truth of domestic violence.

According to ncadv.org, an average of 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the U.S. In a typical day, more than 20,000 phone calls are placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide. In the span of a year, that makes 7.3 million phone calls.

Domestic Violence can be more than just physical contact, it can also consist of verbal abuse. Chandler H. (11), knows first hand what this is like.

“As someone who has experienced both physical and mental abuse, mental abuse can be just as bad as physical,” said Chandler H.

According to huffingtonpost.com, of the 70 percent of people who have experienced domestic violence, 58 percent said that nobody helped them.

“Tell somebody. Don’t hold it in. It’s not your fault. Even if it’s just a close friend of a family member, tell somebody. It’s easier on you and easier to deal with it all. Seeing the sympathy in someone’s eyes can help you realize that it’s not your fault, and that you are not to blame,” said Chandler.

According to cdv.org, children who grow up in a household that experiences domestic violence are 74 percent more likely to commit a violent crime against someone else, and they are 50 percent more likely to abuse drugs and alcohol. If you come from a home where domestic violence occurred or is occurring, you can break the circle by surrounding yourself with positive people. Then, work on rebuilding your confidence. Tell yourself things you like about yourself while looking in a mirror.  Also, you must recognize and acknowledge what abuse is. Abuse is not ‘tough love’.

“We have to take more action in the law and the courtroom. We have to make it easier to get therapy. Abuse spreads. People do not know they are abusive when they are. They think that what they are doing is okay when it’s…not. The reason it keeps spreading is because it’s a cycle. Abuse is a learned trait, the more somebody gets abused, the more [likely that] they will become abusive. The best way to stop the abuse it to show victims that there is another way. Stop it right here and right now,” said Chandler.

If you or anyone you know are in an abusive relationship, you can call the domestic violence hotline at 1-800-799-7233. To help stop domestic violence, go to https://www.ok.gov/dac/documents/10%20Ways%20a%20Bystander%20Can%20Help%20Prevent%20Domestic%20Violence.pdf