Ashland Girls Volleyball Team Builds Historic Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Maddy L. (12) attacks the ball during a home match.  The Lady Arrows volleyball team swept the OCC volleyball awards this year, with eight Arrow members earning awards, including Offensive and Defensive Players of the Year.

Maddy L. (12) attacks the ball during a home match. The Lady Arrows volleyball team swept the OCC volleyball awards this year, with eight Arrow members earning awards, including Offensive and Defensive Players of the Year.

S. Radebaugh

S. Radebaugh

S. Radebaugh

Tate W., Editor

The Ashland High School girls volleyball team’s winning streak has finally ended after 21 games. They have been building upon a great season this year, winning their first 21 games, and now hope to continue their success by winning the OCC. In their last game, the Arrows experienced their first loss to Granville High School with a final score of 2-0. Looking forward, the girls only have one more regular season game, and if they win that they will have clinched the OCC title.

The Arrows have made big strides in the right direction since last season, improving from an 18-5 record to a current 21-1 record.

Coach Jenise Vaughn spoke about the girls’ season saying, “We were really talented last year, and we made a lot of progress last year; but what separates last year’s team from this year’s team would be that we are really calm and cool under pressure [this year], so when the game is on the line or when things don’t go well, we still are confident and we trust each other and manage to finish.”

Vaughn stressed the importance of her girls closing out games strongly. She pointed out that that was one of their bigger weaknesses last year, and they have improved it very much. 

Vaughn went on to talk about the girls’ demeanor by saying, “The girls are very selfless. They don’t care about who gets the glory, they don’t care about who’s getting the most kills. They are just really in it for the team success.” 

Throughout the course of the year, the girls have grown more consistent in their play, which has played a huge part in keeping their winning streak alive. Vaughn said, “We have become much more consistent. At the start of the year there [were] a lot of ups and downs, but now we are focused on starting out a match really strong and aggressive, and finishing with that same energy and aggression.”

As the season is coming to an end, the Arrows experienced praise as the OCC Volleyball Awards were released on Thursday, Oct. 19. Ashland swept the awards, winning Offensive Player of the Year [Maddie W. (12)], Defensive Player of the Year [Kylie R. (12)] and Coach of the Year (Jenise Vaughn). Also recognized were Carrie U. (11) and Karlie S. (9), who were named First Team; Megan I. (12), who was named Second Team; and Jyllian L. (10) and Mackenzie P. (12), who were awarded Honorable Mention.

Tate W., Sports and Politics Editor

I'm Tate, Panorama staff editor.

My hobbies are playing golf and listening to music.

My favorite movies are Fargo, O brother Where Art Thou, or pretty...