Bringing Hope to the Breast Cancer Battle

Thinking pink through October

October is nationally known as Breast Cancer Awareness month. Take the time to remind the women in your life to ensure she is healthy and well.

Flickr

Flickr

Allison A., Editor-in-Chief

Breast cancer, according to the American Cancer Society, is the most commonly developed cancer for women between the ages of 50 and 74 in America, next to skin cancer. Every October is recognized as breast cancer awareness month- where a wide variety of non-profit organizations will work to spread awareness and donate money to continue fighting for a cure for the disease.

Many have heard of breast cancer and even know people who have battled it themselves, but often times do not understand what causes the cancer to occur. Cancer begins when cells start to grow too rapidly and out of control, thus forming a tumor that is either seen through an x-ray or detected due to a noticeable lump. The tumor becomes more cancerous when the cells invade other parts and organs of the body.

To avoid the cancerous tumors, the American Cancer Society encourages women between the ages of 49-75 to have a mammogram every year, and for younger women (yes, even teenage girls) are encouraged to perform self-detection tests such as feeling the breasts for any abnormal lumps about once a month. Doctors recommend performing these tests while on the menstrual cycle to easily remember to do it. Stopping the cells from spreading to other parts of the body is crucial. Kindly remind mothers, grandmothers, aunts, sisters and friends to check-in with their doctors to address any issues immediately- and remember to test yourself.

“As a survivor, my advice for other women is to realize that life will not stop because of a diagnosis. Continue to live as though nothing out of the ordinary has happened,” said Mary Beth Boulton, breast cancer survivor. “My support system, my children, and my husband helped me to realize that there is a cure, and that keeping my spirits up was key. Though I am now cancer-free, I still have regular check-ups. And if something else were to occur, I do not believe I would be scared. “

Fortunately for Boulton, the cancer had been contained and did not spread to other parts of the body. Other women, however, are not as lucky. This is why spreading awareness of breast cancer is so crucial- catching the cancer quickly can be the difference between moderate and terminal illness.

Though there is no definite cure for cancer, there are treatments like radiation and chemotherapy that have proven to work for cancer patients. There is a way to become healthy again, and there are ways to decrease the risk- maintaining regular check-ups and staying hopeful for a cure.

To make donations toward the breast cancer awareness fund, visit:

Donate