The Man in the Woods: A Fictional Story

Dark forest portraying how dense the forest is in which Rodger lives.

Nick D., Staff Writer

Once upon a time there was a man who lived alone in the middle of the woods after his wife passed away. His name was Rodger Johnson. Rodger moved to the woods to be alone. As he aged his eyesight grew worse and worse. He could hardly see anything without his glasses on. Although his vision was bad he could hear extremely well.

One day he was reading a book and he heard a knocking at his front door. He walked to the door but nobody was there. He went back to finish reading his book, but before he even got through a page, he heard a knocking from the back door.

He went to go see what it was, but again nobody was there. When he was walking back to his living room to resume his book there was another knock at the front door again, then quickly followed by a knock at the back door.

Rodger decided to go outside and see what was going on. As soon as he opened the door a freezing cold wind hit him with the force of a truck and knocked him down. He scrambled to his feet and ran to go lock the doors. Little did he know, it was too late. It was in his house.

It was about 5 o’clock, so Rodger decided to go have dinner. When Rodger was microwaving his gourmet meal, the lights went out. Rodger scrambled to light some candles and when he looked up, there was a figure sitting across from him at the table. He stared at the figure, dumbfounded. It leaned forward and blew out the candle.

Rodger screamed and sprinted to away. Unable to see he slipped on the rug and fell face first down the stairs and everything went black.

When he came to he was lying at the bottom of the stairs and the lights were back on. “Oh, thank God, it was just a dream.” he thought. He went to the kitchen to get some ice for the bump on his head and then hobbled over to the couch to watch some TV. He started to doze off to sleep and then heard a knock on the door. Terrified, Rodger grabbed his car keys and ran to the door to get out of there. The door would not open, he tried unlocking it and it still wouldn’t open.

He heard a ringing in his ears and felt a sharp pain in his stomach. Then he went completely blind. He knew he was moving but he couldn’t control anything. All noise was muffled and his body burned. He saw visions of his wife, old memories, happy memories, then it all burned away.

When he was finally able to see again he was covered in blood and two days had passed. He had no idea where he was, somewhere in the forest. He couldn’t move but he knew it was still there. He could hear and he saw it moving through the trees. All of a sudden it was over him and the air around him went cold. As it got closer his limbs started to go numb and it got colder and colder. It reached out an arm and touched him, and everything went black.