Texas Shootings

Nick D., Staff Writer

On November 5, at First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, TX, a gunman fired upon the crowd killing 26 people. The crowd came to church ready for their usual worship when the attack happened. This attack has become the deadliest mass shooting in the state’s history.

The gunman,  identified as Devin Patrick Kelley, was a resident of the town. He was wearing all black attire and a black mask. Witnesses say that Kelley parked his vehicle on the street and opened fire outside the church. He then walked into the church and continued firing into the crowd. Two of the victims were found outside while the rest were found inside the church.

When Kelley exited the church, he shot at residents who came outside. A neighbor of the church came out and shot him with a rifle, causing Kelley to drop his weapon. He fled the scene and neighbors followed in pursuit.

The attack happened in Sutherland Springs, a rural town about 35 miles southeast of San Antonio. There were approximately 20 civilians left wounded from the attack in addition to the 26 dead.

Kelley was a former U.S. Air Force airman who has had many legal troubles in his past. The troubles started with the time he was imprisoned for a year for assaulting his wife and child. In 2014 he was released from the military with a bad conduct discharge. Eric Carpenter, a former associate professor at FIU and a former army lawyer said “there are thousands of cases that have been misclassified. We only know about this one because Kelley decided to shoot up a church.” This means that many criminal problems have occurred after the military and Kelley is one of them.