Senior citizen luncheon brings joy to AHS

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior citizen luncheon features Santa; brings joy to students, staff and seniors.

Sam W.

Sam W.

Sam W.

Festivities kick off at Ashland High School as the annual senior citizen holiday luncheon took place on Friday, December 2, 2017. The event has been hosted by Ashland City Schools for over 20 years, and was created to give seniors residing in nursing homes a chance to see various musical performances and enjoy food provided by the cafeteria staff.

“All the senior citizens are really so polite, they thank us for what we do. I know they like to come out to see their friends, look at the door decorations and eat good food,” said Ryan H. (11), member of student council. “The luncheon really introduces the holiday spirit for them.”

The luncheon encourages all students and staff to get involved, even kids who are not part of a performance group or student council. The entire student body engages in holiday door decorating the day prior to the luncheon; the following day the senior citizens vote for their favorite doors and categorize them based on various themes.

“The luncheon allows those seniors to get in that festive mood. Some of them don’t get to go out too much, and this is really their main social gathering. They dress up all fancy and get here super early,” said Bryan Parsons, student council adviser. “They really do love it.”