Newly formed Arrow Pride club arrives to Ashland High

Ashland High School has always been known for its diverse forms of extracurricular clubs and activities for students to take part in. From student council to anime club, there is a place for everyone, including the newly formed Arrow Pride Club.

The club was formed at the start of the school year; several students approached Adam Schulte, asking if he would advise the group. The students and Mr. Schulte quickly worked together to form the club and begin scheduling meetings.

The initial meeting was held Tuesday, Sept. 18 and, according to Schulte, 10 students came. The following week, 15 students came. Schulte hopes that the number of students that attend the meetings will continue to increase as the year progresses.

Arrow pride is a club that is welcome to all students of AHS. The goal is to provide a safe space for people to share anything that they would like; the club is based off confidentiality and trust.

The main focus right now is to just give everybody a place regardless of their gender, orientation, religion… that you have a place to be 100 percent yourself. Even if we are not doing some sort of outreach just yet… just knowing a place like that exists is a great start.”

— Schulte

Due to the newness of the club, the students involved are not quite sure what they would like the outcome to be, but they do want the meetings to be open to everyone and not just students that are part of the LGBT community.

“We are not quite sure yet of what we want this club to be,” an anonymous source said, “but we do know we want it to be a safe space for everyone.” This student wants to eventually do some sort of outreach across the school to include not only those that are a part of the LGBTQ community but students that are looking for a safe space to talk about anything. “I think that this is the first time Ashland has really had a club like this… one that is accepting and open to everyone regardless of what you believe or how you think. If we built this club up I am sure that we could truly do some great things for this school.”

Arrow pride meets every Tuesday after school at 3:00 pm in room 215.