Basketball seniors outlook on successful season

Nick D., Staff Reporter

Ashland High School Boys Basketball has had a successful season; the Arrows set the record for the most three-pointers in a single game this season. The team prepares for games by simulating the game during practices as well as using scatter plots to help prepare for future games. Coach Jason Hess said, “Our team had to recommit themselves and improve [their] skills. The guys have done a tremendous job of putting in extra time and always showed up ready to work.” Last spring the team did not like the way the season ended so they decided as a team to work extra hard this season to improve.

“We switch up practices a lot to match how the team we’re going against plays, and we try to bring the JV’s out as much as we can,” said Garrett D. (12)

This season the team set the record for most three-pointers in a game at Orville. “Coming off of last year’s season… doing as well as we did… was just a huge accomplishment,” said Garrett.

Newcomers are highly encouraged to join the basketball team for next season. “If you want to join, try, but if you want to be successful you gotta put in the work because you only get out as much as you put in,” said Garrett.

“Work your butt off and do what the coach says. Skill obviously helps but as long as you show up to workouts and put in the effort you’ll be in good shape,” said Nick G. (12). The coaches plan out each practice carefully to replicate the way their opponents play. “As the season progresses you’ll just keep getting better. I always try to help out as much as I can and just become comfortable with not only my team but the game in general.”

The team has faced its fair share of challenges this season and are still facing more. However, seniors Garrett and Nick are staying optimistic. “Our biggest challenge was probably playing against Massillon Washington. We lost our lead late game, and ended up losing on a buzzer beater. But it built character and we’ve overcome it since and I really think it brought the team closer together,” said Garrett. It’s important to help out during the games and cover the team. “I’ve been face guarded pretty tightly but I have great teammates that really make a huge difference.”

Another challenge the male Arrows are facing is OCC. Nick said, “There are a lot of really good teams playing so we’re really hoping we can at least tie for OCC if not win!”