Arrow girls soccer team celebrate historic season after receiving district title

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by N. Bye, Ashland Times Gazette photographer

Allison A., Editor-in-Chief

The Lady Arrows soccer team celebrated a historic season after advancing to the Sweet 16 (regionals) for the third time in Ashland history and the first time since the fall of 2007. The girls had an overall score of 16-4 during the season, tying the girls’ record for the most wins in one season.

Though the girls had advanced far, they could not defeat Toledo Notre Dame Academy and fell 4-1 in the Division I, Region 2 semifinal game at Lake High School, ending their season sooner than expected.The game did not begin well for the Arrows as goalie Paige S. (11) struggled with deflecting the shots Notre Dame sent her way. After the first half the Notre Dame Eagles were leading with a score of 4-0.

The Arrows had a difficult time playing offensively as the Eagles played defensive with much aggression. During the second half, however, player Anna M. (11) was able to escape the defensive Eagles and kick the ball into the net, finally putting the girls on the scoreboard with less than 20 minutes remaining in the game.
Head soccer coach Trent Heckman credits his senior players with bonding the team in order for them to work together and play with passion. He is proud of his seniors and will miss them as well as the rest of his players.

After five years of coaching the girls soccer program, Heckman decided to step down from his position. He is grateful to Jason Goings, current athletic director, as well as Rick Brindley, previous athletic director.

Though their season had ended sooner than they would have liked it to, the girls tied their school history with single wins in a season as well as advancing to regionals for the third time at Ashland High School. They received a District title for their victories and advancements for their successful 2018 season.