Ladies Tennis Wins OCC Tournament

Gavin M., Staff Reporter

Ashland High School Ladies tennis team brought home the victory in the Ohio Cardinal Conference ladies tennis tournament. The September 28 victory was one of a long line of great performances this year, ending the regular season with an amazing 15-2 record. On October 3, they played several different teams at sectionals.

Audra M. (9), who plays on the varsity tennis team, said the key to the Arrows’ success has been talented players and depth in the team. This seems to work as all of the varsity ladies tennis players qualified for districts. What many people are focused on, however, was their victory at OCC’s two weeks ago.

This was a huge accomplishment for the team and, as Audra said, “We worked hard all season and it was our reward”. It certainly was a great victory after finishing third in last season’s tournament. This year they bounced back and found what worked for them. They all are working toward a goal and are committed, Audra said.

With all of the ladies qualifying for districts after playing well in sectionals, there is a lot of hope that Ashland will be able to bring back a victory in the upcoming tournament. With the season wrapping up after the district competition it is safe to say that the team has had a fantastic year. They were able to use rookie and veteran players to make it happen this fall.

According to coach Taylor Long the team’s success is from “our experience and hard work,”. Long also said “we were hungry to win conference and make it to districts,”. They certainly  went to perform, and showed their skill against many other teams.

This Thursday and Saturday they will end the year in Bowling Green facing off against some of the best players in the area.

Photo provided by Sophia W.
Ashland Ladies Tennis after Meet the Team