Ashland teacher pay cuts affect students, community

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo from pdmanesthesia.com.

Photo from pdmanesthesia.com.

Photo from pdmanesthesia.com.

Photo from pdmanesthesia.com.

Caitlin B., Editor-in-Chief

As the 2019-20 school year is well underway, Ashland City Schools teachers still have yet to find a resolution to their lack of a contract. After having reverted to an old contract that only compensates work days lasting seven hours and five minutes, teachers are not the only ones at a loss.

Under the old contract, working days would last seven and a half hours. Without teachers’ availability, students suffer. If a student has a question about their homework, they may not be able to ask it. If a student needs to make up a test after school, their teacher won’t be around for the test to be taken.

These suffering students can turn into struggling, unmotivated adults. Many student success stories begin with a teacher who took the initiative to care about where a student is. Whether they start with caring about the student’s grades, life, behavior or something beyond those areas–the teacher has been there for the student. However, with teachers leaving school only ten minutes after the students, there isn’t any time for a teacher and student to connect.

With students being unable to connect with their teachers, students may feel disconnected and potentially want to resist the teachers’ authority. Ultimately, this feeling of resistance can translate into other aspects of life including: work, family, life goals and college (if the student chooses to continue their academic career).

Unmotivated adults can lead to communities without professionals and specialists, which can cause the community to be stuck in a cycle of poverty. Without the resolution of this problem, teachers will not be the only ones in a sticky situation.