Charolettesville Rally Centers Around Hate

Charlottesville+rally+participants+walk+the+streets+with+confederate+and+swastika+flags%2C+chanting+
Charlottesville rally participants walk the streets with confederate and swastika flags, chanting

Anthony Crider

Anthony Crider

Shirleeah P., News and Entertainment Editor

On August 12, a white nationalist group held a rally in Charlottesville, VA. With over 100 people attending the rally, some of whom were former KKK members, there has been an uproar of controversy over almost every aspect of the rally.

The meaning behind the rally has become a topic of discussion on social media and major news articles. It seems that half of the media agrees that confederate monuments should be torn down, while the other half disagrees, claiming that they should be torn down due to the meaning behind the monuments.

For me personally, I believe the monuments should stay standing. They represent our history and if we do not have a constant reminder of the past, then history could possibly repeat itself.

On the controversy of the rally itself, I agree that the protesters have their Constitutional right to peacefully protest, although the group did not peacefully protest.

When having lit tiki torches and assaulting fellow Americans, the rally is not peaceful nor right. I disagree with what the nationalist group stood for. Hatred is one of the many words that come to my mind when I think about this rally.

Everyone is equal. Regardless of sexual orientation, gender, race or religion. There is no superior race.

Another thing that comes to my mind about Charlottesville is that neither the police nor the president took the issue seriously.

There have been several rallies held by African Americans that haven’t been broken up. Why would this one be different? If the rally was made up of African Americans stating that they were the superior race, the police would have been there fully armored and had stopped the rally the second it had begun. President Trump would have also been tweeting like a madman if this rally were made up of African Americans.

Former KKK member, David Duke, spoke out during the rally.

“We are determined to take our country back. We are going to fulfill the promises of Donald Trump,” said Duke.

This alone just shows how much hatred is in our country. If we ban together and do everything in our power to demolish this hate, then the United States, and hopefully the entire world, will be a better place.