The Cross Country Ashland Invitational

Jack Vance running hard about to run a season best

Nick D., Staff Writer

September 2, was the Ashland home Cross Country Invite, The boys team placed third and the girls team placed second. The course at Freer Field is generally considered one of the more difficult courses throughout the season due to the uneven ground and many large hills and gravel.

Jack said, “I felt good, I got a season-best by almost 20 seconds.” Jack’s goal for this season is to run an 18:45.

Nate W. (12) said, “After being held back for a long time, I’m getting back up there. I felt really good and it really shows how well we all have trained.”

The Cross Country team has many more challenges to face this year. According to Blade E. (11), “The competition this year is at an all-time high. If we can all ‘up the bar’ a little bit, we’ll be fine.” said Blade E. (11). The team has many injuries and the season ahead appears difficult.

Jack V. (11) said, “As a team we want to place well at OCC and we’re on the right track to reach that goal.”

The team is putting in a lot of effort and hopefully it will all pay off in the long run. The goal this year for the team is: “Keeping our position at state and for the girls to have a breakthrough. Also to merge boys and girls together and have a more cohesive team… We are on our way to reaching that goal,” said Nate.  “I also am excited to see the younger guys step up and start showing their position on the team.”

The boys coach, Brock Weaver, said, “For the boys, the goal is to make it to state and the girls have adopted the same goal. The biggest thing is for everyone to stay healthy, consistent, and enjoy themselves. Placing well is also a bonus. Some advice to anyone who wants to be a runner would be to work hard, stay consistent and find joy in the running process.”

Consistency is important for the improvement of running. Blade said, “If you are thinking about running, do it. It doesn’t matter if you are fast or slow, we’re a big family. For those who don’t run, at least look at what we do and respect it more.”

There are a lot of injuries this year which makes it more difficult for the team,  head cross country coach, Weaver said that injuries are one of the biggest struggles they are faced with this season and everyone has to stay healthy. Weaver said, “There aren’t super high expectations, just constant improvement and consistency, working hard, and staying healthy.” This was the third cross country meet for the team this year and there are still much more to come.

Jack said, ” I’m looking forward to the Tiffin Invite because there is lots of competition.” The next meet for the Arrows will take place at Gallion this Saturday. Jack said, “I felt good this race, I got a season-best by almost 20 seconds.” Jack’s goal for this season is to run an 18:45.