The Compassion Experience

Tommy Theisen, pastor at CrossConnect, poses in front of poster after briefly explaining the purpose of the project.

Allison Alberty

Allison Alberty

Allison A., Editor-in-Chief

Compassion International, a Christian child development ministry, aids children around the world that live in poverty to bring them toward a healthier and better life. Several weeks ago, on August 25-27, the Compassion Experience visited Ashland County behind the Bill Harris car dealership building and parking lot, hoping to catch people that are curious as to what the experience was. Tommy Theisen, CrossConnect pastor aiding the event, estimated 1,000-2,000 people to come out and experience the event.

The experience is a virtual walk-through story of a child living in poverty in another country.

An iPod is given to each person walking through to listen to an audio clip of the child speaking to them, explaining his or her story. The experience becomes virtual as people walk through their room, their school-house, their market, and finally, they’re changed life as a successful adult.

After visiting the walk-through stories, posters of children in poverty around the world were hung, and visitors could take a look at kids in need and may have chosen to sponsor a child. This, in essence, is the point of the compassion experience: to get children the help they need through a sponsor. To sponsor a child, it is $38 a month, where letters are written and translated between the child and the sponsor. Not only does the money given help the child lead a better life, but helps the child feel loved, as well as teach them about Christianity; ultimately changing their life for the better.

“The purpose [of The Compassion Experience] is to understand that we have it pretty easy, and that somewhere-doesn’t have to be far away, it’s happening all around us-someone is in need. And the more we can do to eliminate those needs and change people’s lives, make them feel loved-the better,” Theisen said.

The Compassion program works in 26 countries and continues to progress as they reach out to more children who are in need and will benefit from the program. The Compassion Experience is Christ-centered, church-based, and child-focused. For more information regarding the program or to see some of the children from around the world, visit changetour.compassion.com/about.

The Compassion Experience would like to give a special thanks for everyone that visited the event and to Scott Harris for allowing the set-up to be behind the Bill Harris dealership.