Science Tutor Room?

3dman_eu from pixabay

3dman_eu from pixabay

Sarah Y., Editor-in-Chief

So many people struggle with understanding science and applying it. I am one of those people. Now do not get me wrong, I love science. It’s one of my favorite subjects, but it is also my hardest subject. Science becomes more of an extremely in-depth math class the farther up in science you get.

I am in Advanced Inorganic and Organic Chemistry. Chemistry, in general, is the hardest class I have ever had to take, which is one of the reasons I am trying to take as many Chemistry classes I can before college. Even last year, when I had Honors Chemistry, it was difficult.

I often found myself wondering, ‘why do we not have a science tutor room’? We have a math tutor room which is incredibly helpful for those who do not understand their math class or homework. Why do we not have a science tutor room?

The way the science program at Ashland is set up currently, you have to be proactive in your student career and ask a teacher for one-on-one help. This is a great idea until you get to the fact that you need help on an entire packet and you have 20 minutes with a teacher before they need to teach a class, continue on with their prep, etc.

They are incredibly busy people and cannot necessarily spend an hour with a student helping with what they need to be done; however, most teachers are willing to stay if needed.

Another problem with this system is if your teacher only has third period free and you only have sixth period free, this causes problems trying to get extra help. You only have either lunch, after school or before school. For most people, this just does not work. Students cannot just skip lunch in order to get extra aid from their science teacher. I am hypoglycemic, and I cannot miss lunch or I am reduced to a shaky, clammy mess. Students who play sports usually have practice after school or even before school, which only leaves them lunch.

For most people, science is the most challenging course. Why do we not have a place that is incredibly easy to access for those who do not have a clue what is going on in their science class? It would be so helpful for so many people.

Think of it: a place where there is a science teacher completely at your disposal to help you understand and get through your current science class. I know for me personally, that would be so amazing. I believe that it is something administration should consider. It would help so many students who desperately need it.