School Spirit Flies at Ashland High

Ashland High School football players and cheerleaders dance to a medley during the homecoming assembly.

Malana E.

Malana E.

Allison A., Editor-in-Chief

Traditionally at Ashland High School in the week leading up to homecoming, the students and staff come together to celebrate and support school spirit. To do so, student council plans spirit days-where a theme is applied to each day until Friday, the day of the big homecoming game.

This year, Monday was superhero theme, Tuesday was twin day, Wednesday was “Whacky Wednesday”, Thursday had a Christmas theme and Friday was class color theme. Seniors wore black, juniors orange, sophomores white and freshman repped spirit with gray.

Many students participated in the activities and took pictures together as the students awaited the announcement of their new King and Queen for the year.

“Spirit week is helpful in bringing out a different side of the students and staff members when they get involved,” said Brian Parsons, student council supervisor. He continued, “That is the best thing as far as the connection goes.”

On Friday, Sept. 29 2017, the same day of the homecoming game, a pep rally was held in Ashland High School’s gym where all the students gathered to watch the homecoming court and Sweet Sixteen dance team perform, laugh as the cheerleaders and football players stage their iconic annual dance, and listen to the band hype the student body up for the game.

“During spirit week for the marching band, usually it’s not the week that brings the spirit but the vibe the band provides. We always bring our own pep regardless of the rest of the school spirit…” said Alison W., third year band member and officer. “We perform our best at every game but when the school wants us to hype them up, that’s what we do.”