AHS Distinguished Alumni

Tate W., Editor

This past Friday, Sept. 28, several Ashland High School alumni were recognized at the homecoming football game for their outstanding achievements in their careers, and their contributions to the community.

One of these alumni is Jeff Snook, a graduate of The Ohio State University School of Journalism. Snook has authored and published several books, most of them centering around college football or specifically, Ohio State football. He has collaborated with several college football legends, including Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer, Ohio State quarterback Art Schlichter, and Ohio State Head Coach Jim Tressel. Snook will be publishing his 13th nonfiction book in the Spring of 2018. The book is a collaboration with Ken Harrelson, a legendary Chicago White Sox sportscaster. Snook currently resides in Atlantis, FL with his wife and two children.

Jane Roland was recognized for her service to Ashland County and her dedication to helping American veterans. Roland serves as the administrator of the Ashland County Veterans Service office in Ashland where she has worked for over 40 years. Roland is also a member of the Ohio State Association of County Veteran Service Officers. There she works as a part of the board of directors. Roland is the first woman and the only non-veteran on the committee.

The other two alumni being recognized are Gaylord and Beulah Miller. These two have made great contributions to Ashland through their hard work. After graduating from AHS in 1943, Gaylord enlisted in the Army. During his time in Germany he fought in The Battle of the Bulge alongside the 35th infantry division. During wartime, Beulah sewed life vests to send overseas for soldiers. When Gaylord returned home, the couple got married in September of 1945.

Two years later they purchased half of the rights to Home Hardware on Center St. in downtown Ashland. Gaylord and Beulah have been known in Ashland for their hard work and great customer service. They have regularly given back to Ashland not only through donations and sponsorships, but also with keeping small business alive in Ashland.