Trump Protests Protesting

Above is the United States President, Donald Trump. Trump has recently tweeted about the current protests during the National Anthem.

Gage Skidmore

Sarah Y., Editor-in-Chief

On September 23, President Donald Trump tweeted about the recent controversy surrounding the NFL players “taking a knee”. In that tweet, Trump said “If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL, or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect…. our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem. If not, YOU’RE FIRED. Find something else to do!”

This has caused many protests around the people’s right to freedom of speech. One of the most notable protests against President Trump has been the Oakland Raiders, whose entire offensive line kneeled during the National Anthem while interlocking their arms.

Another notable protest was by famous singer Stevie Wonder, who took both knees at a New York music festival. Wonder said, “Tonight, I’m taking a knee for America; but not just one knee, I’m taking both knees.” He went to say, “Both knees in prayer for our planet, our future, our leaders of the world and our globe…”

This protest to “take a knee” during the National Anthem has stemmed from the police brutality cases due to racism and bigotry toward black people. There have been almost 60 unarmed black people killed since January 2015 according to https://abagond.wordpress.com.

On September 26, Trump took to Twitter to say, “Ratings for NFL football are way down except before game starts, when people tune in to see whether or not our country will be disrespected.”

According to http://www.npr.org., in a recent survey done by C-Space founder, Diane Hessan, 40 percent of almost 400 people surveyed agreed with President Trump that “taking a knee” during the National Anthem was “disrespectful” and “a disgrace”