Kaepernick Controversy

Above Colin Kaepernick is seen in a game against the Green Bay Packers back in 2012. Kaepernick is now a free agent player and has not been signed to any team during the 2017 NFL season.

Moe Epsilon on Flickr

Moe Epsilon on Flickr

Sarah Y., Editor-in-Chief

During the 2016 NFL season, San Francisco 49ers’ quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, was seen kneeling during the National Anthem. This was done in order to protest police brutality as well as racial discrimination.

This protest has now grown into other professional football teams  “taking a knee” during “The Star-Spangled Banner” to protest police brutality against race.

During an interview after Kaepernick kneeling during the National Anthem, Kaepernick said “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

According to https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/, black people are three times more likely to be killed by the police than a white person. Along with that, 30 percent of black victims were unarmed in 2015 compared to 21 percent of white victims.

On April 28, 2017, Kaepernick announced he had decided not to sign a contract with the 49ers and decided to be an unrestricted free agent instead. Kaepernick has gone unsigned during the 2017 NFL season as well as the 2017 training camps.