Why 2018 will the year of the woman

Allison A., Editor-in-chief

This past year brought forth numerous challenges for women across America to battle. The fight for gender equality did not raise nearly enough attention as many women had hoped it would and, in fact, many women believed that equality became much worse in 2017, according to CNN.

According to the New York Post, more than 42 percent of working women said that they had experienced discrimination from the opposite sex at some time in 2017, and 25 percent of women in America are still getting paid less than men. The interesting thing? On average, women have been proven to have higher credit scores than the men. 2018, however, is believed by many to be the year for women. This year celebrates 100 years since women received the right to vote in 1918.

Though America still has a long way to go with the gender equality battle, CNN has said that the progress in the last few months has been incredible. The #MeToo trend sparked by the Harvey Weinstein scandals has women across the globe becoming more involved in equality and standing against harassment from men.

In Britain, a law labeling misogyny as a hate crime is being entertained. In America, #TimesUp is a movement battling sexual harassment that formed in the beginning of 2018 in response to the Weinstein scandals. On New Year’s Day, over 300 women published letters to begin the anti-harassment movement. It has already raised more than $16 million in just two weeks to help women retaliate and fight against harassment with shelters and crisis lines.

Feminism is being predicted by CNN to reach an all-time high in 2018, where a gender equality balance will continue to be fought for and more men and women stand with the #TimesUp and #MeToo movements. Justice is being sought for those women who will never have the chance to speak out against harassment or gender inequality.

To learn more about the #TimesUp movement, visit:

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/what-timesup-new-movement-tackles-sexual-harassment-with-legal-support/5t4Ued4EepUiJ8kVtGjRnL/

Allison A., Editor-in-Chief

As an Ashland High School senior, Allison A. has been involved with journalism throughout all four of her years at AHS. As a freshman, she was enrolled...