Ashland Theatre restoration to finish 2020

Gavin M., Staff Reporter

Ashland has been in dire need of a theater since the winter of 2011. That is when the Ashland Square Cinema closed its doors for the last time. Originally opening in 1942 as a state-of-the-art cinema, its goal was to provide big-city experiences, but with that small-town charm. It was a huge deal in small town Ashland, and with an original seating capacity of 1,500, it had plenty of space for everyone who wished to go.

In 2011, however due to new technology and economic downturn, the Ashland Square Cinema officially closed down. What was left was a building in disarray, and a lack of entertainment for the town. Since the closing of the theater, rumors surfaced of it being renovated, but they were never confirmed until the Ashland Schine’s Theatre Organization purchased the property in July of 2015. With hard work and dedication from not only the organization but volunteers as well- the theater is gradually coming along.

Many citizens of Ashland, including the students, have been asking for a theatre in Ashland for a long time. One of the main reasons people are excited for this project is the location. It is in the heart of Ashland and close to many other restaurants and businesses. Kobee V. (10) is speaking for everyone when he said “Now I don’t have to waste gas to go to Mansfield”. This is the thought that goes through every Ashlander’s head whenever they would like to go see a movie. More people than ever will go to see movies and live performances, it’s right in their backyard!

This could be a great advancement for Ashland, due to the lack of entertainment for all ages. It is a great way to bring the community together through the theatre’s rich history in town. It played a part in many people’s lives before it was shutdown. A whole new generation now has the chance to experience the magic of cinema right here in Ashland. The Schine’s Theatre restoration is scheduled to finish by the end of 2020.

Photo from Spiread.com