Amy Coney Barrett Supreme Court confirmation

Emma B., Staff Reporter

Amy Coney Barrett has become the newest Justice on the Supreme Court being confirmed on Oct. 26, 2020. Barrett was nominated by President Trump to fill the seat of late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Sept. 26, just eight days after Ginsburg’s death on Sept. 18. Barrett’s confirmation hearing took only four days, with a passing vote of 52 to 48 in the Senate. 

Barrett is the third judge nominated and confirmed to the Supreme Court by President Trump and her confirmation now creates a 6-3 conservative majority. Barrett is only 48 years old and could serve on the Supreme Court for at least three decades.

Barrett’s confirmation has been met with controversy as it took place only a week before election day. Democrats pointed out the hypocrisy of Senate Republicans for blocking President Obama’s Supreme Court nominee in 2016 over eight months before the presidential election, saying the nomination came too close to an important election, only to now pass a conservative nominee just days before the 2020 presidential election.

Before her nomination to the Supreme Court, Barrett was a top student of Notre Dame Law School, and later returned as a professor. In May of 2017, she was nominated by President Trump for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, where she served for three years.

Barrett is a staunch Catholic, although she insists her faith does not compromise her work as a judge. Her conservative views on hot topics like LGBTQ+ rights and abortion have made her popular with conservatives, but worry many liberals. AHS government teacher Mark Condit stated, “Roe vs. Wade, as a decision, might be one that if challenged, could be overturned by this court, but it depends almost entirely on Robert’s and Gorsuch’s willingness to overturn a 50 year precedent.”

Barrett has demonstrated a strong track record of highly conservative views on gun rights, abortion, immigration, and health care. “It’s a two party system, the Supreme Court shouldn’t be allowed to be so heavily biased… they try to separate church and state, but they don’t actually try, they just say they are.” Said Ashland High School senior Darby W.

Condit said,”It’s only been the last 40 years or so where we’ve seen a lot of contention, I’m hopeful that as this sort of FEARO recedes, we’ll move away from modifying the court only to increase the partisan numbers.”