Arrows bowling strikes down the Wooster Generals

Photo from times-gazette.com

Arrows bowler Parker G.(10) bowls during his record breaking set.

Kyle R., Sports Reporter

Ashland Arrows bowler Parker G.(10) broke an Ashland High School record as the Arrows beat the Wooster Generals on both Thursday, Jan. 21 and Wednesday, Jan. 27.

The Generals came into Luray Lanes on Wednesday looking to put the Arrows down after Ashland fell to Lexington in their previous match up.

Aiden B.(12) and the Ashland Arrows had some other plans. 

Aiden put up a 472 series, scoring 182 in the first set, and 290 in his second set. Aiden and the Arrows beat Wooster 2,784-2,604 in the Wednesday night clash.

However a record breaking night came roughly a week before, on the night of January 21.

Parker bowled a 279 on his first set, and then a perfect 300 on his second. He scored a 579 series, breaking the school’s record for a series. 

However that was not the only record broken by Parker. The 300 he rolled broke the Ashland High School record of 290 in a set that was earned earlier in the year by Arrow bowler Zion C.(11).

“At first it was pretty easy and felt pretty routine,” said Parker. “But the closer I got to finishing, the more nervous I got. I mean nobody has ever done it.”

Because of their hard work, the Arrows have a good chance to win the OCC this year with the help of bowlers like Parker and Aiden.

All of the winter sports, including bowling, have been able to navigate these difficult times with COVID-19. 

Ashland High School Athletic Director Jason Goings said, “When it comes to winter sports, I know all of our athletes have been working very hard and loving being able to compete.”