Trump gets impeached for a second time

Photo taken from https://www.google.com

Photo taken from https://www.google.com

Hannah B., Staff Reporter

Many new things have been happening in the political world recently. One example being, Former president Donald J. Trump has become the first president ever to be impeached twice. In Feb. of 2020, Trump was impeached on the charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. According to Tom Macarthy of the Guardian, “ Donald Trump has been acquitted in his senate trial on both of the articles of impeachment he faced”. The Senate voted 52-48 on the abuse of power charge, and 53-47 on the obstruction of Congress. 

On Jan. 13, the House of Representatives voted to impeach Trump for a second time on the charge of inciting an insurrection. On the report of Alex Finnis at inews, This charge was a result of the recent riots at the capital, that some believe the former president incited when he was giving a speech about fighting to win the election.

Like most things that have involved former President Trump, this most recent impeachment has caused split opinions. According to FiveThirtyEight.com, at the point of President Joe Biden’s inauguration 52.5 percent of Americans support Trump being impeached, and 43.3 percent do not. 

History teacher Jon Court said, “I think it is exceptionally important to be informed on what’s going on in our government, but in the world in whole” . Even Ashland High School students have been staying informed, and have formed their own opinions on the historical event. 

Tristen S.(11) fits this category  “ I do support Trump being impeached because he violated the 14th amendment. It is very important that we set a precedent that a sitting president does not violate the Constitution”. He feels as if it is very important for the integrity of our country that even people in positions of power can not just do whatever they please. Other students are on the completely other side of the argument. Rhealyn A.(12) says “ I think the impeachment is divisive and unnecessary”. Rhealyn thinks this impeachment is just adding to the hate in this country. The result of Trump being impeached is not worth all conflict it causes in her opinion. 

Trump’s impeachment has caused lots of up roar in the country. It has almost split the country in half because of the controversy. The former president was found not guilty for one impeachment, and will face trial for the second on February 9, 2021.