COVID-19 vaccines

COVID-19+vaccines

Emma B., Staff Reporter

The year-long fight against COVID-19 is starting to look optimistic as more Americans continue to get vaccinated against the disease. So far in the U.S. three vaccines have been authorized and administered to the public; Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson and Moderna. 

Although COVID-19 vaccines are highly effective, they are not 100% effective for every person who receives them. There is still a small chance that an individual can become infected with the disease and spread it even after they are fully vaccinated. However these infections are mild, or completely symptom-free, making it highly recommended that all who are eligible receive their vaccination. 

“I have a lot of older family, so I chose to get vaccinated for their sake,” said AHS teacher Brian Krieger, “Also being a teacher exposes me to a lot of germs.”

Despite the process taking considerably less time than typically given to vaccines in the making, no steps have been skipped in the process of testing to ensure the safety and efficiency of the vaccines.

All three vaccines have gone through extensive testing by numerous laboratories, the CDC and FDA to ensure their safety and efficacy. Due to the urgency of the pandemic, the process of bringing a safe vaccine to the public has been sped up by having multiple companies and laboratories simultaneously work together to determine the best way to create a vaccine.

Side effects to the COVID-19 vaccines are common and to be expected, according to the CDC. The most common include; pain and soreness at the site of the injection, headache, fatigue, muscle and joint pain, and fever. These side effects are signs of an immune response to the vaccine and mean it is working, not that it is dangerous. 

“Other than a sore arm I didn’t have any side effects,” said Krieger, “but I do know of one teacher who felt pretty sick and had to go home.”

As the majority of priority groups have and continue to receive their vaccines, the eligibility for receiving a vaccine has trickled down to young adults, including high school students 18 years of age. By having an increased percentage of all age groups become vaccinated, herd immunity can become an important factor that helps to lessen the severity of pandemic. 

“As soon as I’m eligible I know I’m going to get the vaccine, but right now I’m still too young,” said Gisella B. (10) “It’s really important to my family and I want life to go back to normal soon.”